Channel bonding PE 850, no 802.3ad response

Nick Wales nick at nexusproductions.com
Tue Jan 9 08:59:48 CST 2007

I'm failing to get a PE 850 running CentOS 4.3, with the built in
dual gigE NIC to aggregate with a Powerconnect 2724. Using the
bonding kernel method. Both NIC's work fine independently.

The NIC card is a tigon3, dmesg gives the version as:

eth0: Tigon3 [partno(BCM95721) rev 4101 PHY(5750)] (PCI Express)
10/100/1000BaseT

The NICs claim to be 802.3ad compatible, but whenever i bring up the
bonded interface i get a message along the lines of

no 803.3ad response from the switch

However I've previously had a 1750 aggregate to exactly the same
ports on the router using a 4 port Intel gigabit Adapter, so I'm
pretty sure its not the switch at fault. I've checked and double
checked the LAG settings on the switch and they're fine.

Any ideas if this is a NIC driver issue or something else?

thanks