debian on poweredge 2950

Anderson, Steven steven.anderson at dallascityhall.com
Fri Jan 5 15:19:55 CST 2007

I have a Dell Poweredge 2950 with a PERC 5 configured as a 300GB RAID
5,
dual broadcom gigabit network adapters
4GB RAM
DVD/CD-rom
no floppy

I am not able to load the debian-31-r4 release due to it can not see
the network cards

After successfully loading the OS I had problems activating X windows.

The following are the steps I used to fix the problem

Thank you for the support I received from this group

Setup Server

1.1.1.                              Install from the Debian CD
(Downloaded the Debian installer from
http://people.debian.org/~joeyh/d-i/images/daily/netboot/mini.iso
<http://people.debian.org/~joeyh/d-i/images/daily/netboot/mini.iso>  (32
bit version of network loader))

1.1.2.                              If you are using the 1st NIC select
the 2nd NIC (there is a bug in the install that uses the opposite NIC

1.1.3.                              Add the ssh daemon by typing
"apt-get update && apt-get install ssh"

1.1.4.                              Reload keyboard, mouse, and video
drivers by typing the following (enables xwindows)

1.1.4.1.                        aptitude install xserver-xorg-input-kbd

1.1.4.2.                        aptitude install
xserver-xorg-input-mouse

1.1.4.3.                        aptitude install
xserver-xorg-input-evdev

1.1.4.4.                        aptitude install xserver-xorg-video-all

1.1.4.5.                        dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Steven Anderson

City of Dallas

Streets Department

Flood Control