system fails to initramfs after reboot during build

sean finney sean at stickybit.se
Sun Jan 7 21:18:39 CST 2007

hey guys,

i'm guessing you've probably either fixed this or moved to something
else at this point, but the following advice was on the right trail:

On Thu, 2006-12-28 at 12:39 -0500, J. Epperson wrote:
> That's pretty much what happens whenever the installer environment has
> drivers for your RAID, but they don't get into your installed environment
> correctly.  Can be due to missing driver, missing modprobe.conf entry, or
> broken mkinitrd process, not an exhaustive list.  Hang on for a bit and
> someone knowledgeable about Debian and 2950s will probably respond.

chances are the installer detected your hardware as part of the standard
hardware-probing, but wasn't smart enough to realize that you need the
driver loaded from the initrd to be able to get to /.  so, you need
to basically do something like the following before rebooting (or
after booting from a rescue disk and mounting/chrooting stuff if it's
too late):

echo drivername >> /etc/initramfs-tools/modules
update-initramfs -u -k all

my memory is hazy on this, so use this as a reference when figuring it
out on your own... but that should be it.  in my case (perc 5 di) the
drivername is megaraid_sas.

	sean