RTC problems on Dell Poweredge Servers

Francis Lessard novacom at videotron.ca
Sun Jan 7 17:57:28 CST 2007

Hi !

(this is mostly my original post on Howtoforge)

I really hope we come to a solution.

I have installed a VMWare server on Debien Etch kernel 2.6.18-3-686 on my
brand new Poweredge 860. I still have an issue related to RTC.

On a standard server (non-dell from what I tested), issuing the command :>
hwclock  and then cat /proc/interrupts. The number would increase beside
IO-APIC-edge rtc showing that hwclock receives correct interrupts form
/dev/rtc...

That's not the case on the Dell PowerEdge 860. And after looking through all
my Dell Linux installations, they all exibit the same problem, all with
different kernels ! (tested on 2 poweredge sc430)

The symptom is corrected on Dell servers by adding --directisa option to a
hwclock command or in /etc/init.d/hwclock.sh for booting slowdowns and
shutdowns... But the this perticular issue is affecting directly VMware
server. The vmware server need /dev/rtc for keeping up time correctly. So
even though this solves the problem in hwclock, it does not fix my issue.

This message is logged in syslog :

Jan  3 16:08:41 pe860 kernel: rtc: lost some interrupts at 2048Hz.
Jan  3 16:09:12 pe860 last message repeated 1512 times
Jan  3 16:10:13 pe860 last message repeated 3051 times

The final issue is that the time on the virtual machine is sooooo slow. 1
sec = 5 sec realtime.

I tried modprobe -r rtc, modprobe genrtc... It makes hwclock work but remove
the interrupt function (in /proc/interrupt, no more rtc)

Have anybody fixed this problem, or know why it happens ? Maybe if someone
could try the >hwclock, cat /proc/interrupt and confirm if it's a debian
specific bug.

At this point, any ideas are welcome.

Thanks !

Francis