Support for Reiser and other things (was: Megaraid with brakes on?)

J. Epperson linux-poweredge at epperson.homelinux.net
Sat Jan 6 11:19:56 CST 2007

On Fri, January 5, 2007 23:46, Ben Scott wrote:
> On 1/5/07, Todd Lyons <tlyons at ivenue.com> wrote:
>> I wouldn't warranty something like that past a certain point either.
>
>   I'm not asking Dell to warranty them.  I'm asking them to take my
> money to keep them under a service contract.  That means maintain a
> spare parts inventory and technicians to install same.  I fully expect
> to pay a price premium for older equipment, and I'm perfectly willing
> to pay.  But Dell will not sell one to me for any price.
>
>   When we renewed the contract on our PE 2500 for the last year, it
> cost us something like $1500.  Over the five year life of the server,
> we never *once* invoked the contract.  The profit margin on that has
> to be pretty damn good.  It's a fair bet Dell would have made more
> money selling us another year on the contract than they made selling
> us the PE 2900 to replace it.

ExACTly.  And anticipating the economic viability question, it takes more
than just buying the hardware to replace a server.  The 2550s I still have
in service have their replacements racked right beside them, waiting for
engineer time and downtime windows to do the ports and cutovers.  Five
done, five to go.  I can use contractors to do new servers for new
functionality, but porting an existing one requires in-depth knowledge of
the infrastructure and interdependencies.