Support for Reiser and other things (was: Megaraid with brakes on?)

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 22:46:50 CST 2007

On 1/5/07, Todd Lyons <tlyons at ivenue.com> wrote:
> I wouldn't warranty something like that past a certain point either.

  I'm not asking Dell to warranty them.  I'm asking them to take my
money to keep them under a service contract.  That means maintain a
spare parts inventory and technicians to install same.  I fully expect
to pay a price premium for older equipment, and I'm perfectly willing
to pay.  But Dell will not sell one to me for any price.

  When we renewed the contract on our PE 2500 for the last year, it
cost us something like $1500.  Over the five year life of the server,
we never *once* invoked the contract.  The profit margin on that has
to be pretty damn good.  It's a fair bet Dell would have made more
money selling us another year on the contract than they made selling
us the PE 2900 to replace it.

-- Ben