Support for Reiser and other things (was: Megaraid with brakes on?)

J. Epperson linux-poweredge at epperson.homelinux.net
Fri Jan 5 19:06:56 CST 2007

On Fri, January 5, 2007 18:15, Ben Scott wrote:
>   That, incidentally, is my one major displeasure with Dell.  After a
> server is five years old, they will no longer sell me a service
> contract.  For infrastructure, the cut-off should really should be at
> least eight years.  (End-user machines, I could understand.)

Agreed.  I still have 2550 machines doing infrastructure tasks like DNS
and internal mail relay, and they're more than up to the task.  But they
fell off the support wagon last fall.  I'm keeping retired ones around to
cannibalize, but fact is that they had the most support calls in the first
18 months of service, while the few defective components failed and were
replaced.  HP will stop offering support on obsolescent components (like
12H raids going out of support next month), but they happily continue to
support ancient 880Mhz L2000 HPPA boxes for the right amount of ca$h.