RHEL 4 USB to Serial converter

Simon Welch simon.welch at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 02:33:18 CST 2007

Can anyone advise on RHEL 4 compatibility of USB to Serial converters
please? We have PowerEdge 850 servers for our news delivery system.  The
software vendor advises that we need a USB to serial converter but believes
that this is not compatible with Linux can anyone confirm please?

Basically the server is delivered with some content, via ADSL, this is
written to the file system and the software then forwards this down 2 serial
ports for delivery to our news content system, the 850 has one serial port
but we need delivery from 2 ports for redundancy.
Many thanks

Simon