Megaraid with brakes on?

Stephan Wonczak a0033 at rrz.uni-koeln.de
Thu Jan 4 03:04:40 CST 2007

   Hi Martin!

On Wed, 3 Jan 2007, Martin Sarsale wrote:

<snip>
> We're changing servers (not related to this issue) and we'll build a
> RAID10 in the new ones. What do you think it's better, assuming we
> want to have all the disks in a RAID?
> Hardware RAID0 and Software RAID1
> Software RAID0 and Hardware RAID1
> or Hardware RAID10 ?

   For your workload I would go with hardware RAID1 pairs (plus a global
hotspare!), then concatenate these pairs in software using LVM. As others
have said already, in your case triping (RAID0) would buy you no
measurable performance increase.

 	Dipl. Chem. Dr. Stephan Wonczak

         Zentrum fuer Angewandte Informatik (ZAIK)
         Regionales Rechenzentrum der Universitaet zu Koeln (RRZK)
         Universitaet zu Koeln, Robert-Koch-Strasse 10, 50931 Koeln
         Tel: ++49/(0)221/478-5577, Fax: ++49/(0)221/478-5590