PE2850 and DRAC 4/I virtual CD ROM problems

Ludse Verhoeven Ludse.Verhoeven at VOPAK.COM
Thu Jan 4 02:59:39 CST 2007

Hi list,

I'm having problems with a DELL PE2850 system, running RHEL4. The system
now and then randomly seems to lock. For this I've already found in some
'hdf=ide-scsi' to the kernel statement in the /boot/grub/grub.conf. Not
sure if this really is working (just added the option yesterday and
rebooted the server, so it's just too soon to tell), but already two
events caught my eye. The first one is a statement during startup which
finds the "ide-scsi" being deprecated for cd-burning. Well, I'm not using
a cd-burner here, so that's not too worrying. Secondly I constantly see a
new message appear on my console stating that the "Device is not ready.
Make sure there is a disc in the drive.". This message must be generated
by the newly added option, since I haven't seen it before, at least not in
such a rapid way: once every few seconds. Does anybody have an idea how to
stop these messages and/or what option I should use i.s.o. the
"hdf=ide-scsi" option I found in the archives?

Thanks in advance,
        Ludse Verhoeven

Ludse Verhoeven
AIX System Engineer
T: +31 10 400 2440
F: +31 10 400 2891
E: Ludse.Verhoeven at VOPAK.COM

Vopak Information Services B.V.
Trade Register: 24146892
Visit Address: Westerlaan 10, 3016 CK Rotterdam
Postal Address: P.O. Box 863, 3000 AW  Rotterdam
The Netherlands
http://www.vopak.com

A Royal Vopak company