"command response could not be provided"

Krishnaprasad_K at Dell.com Krishnaprasad_K at Dell.com
Wed Jan 3 23:48:06 CST 2007

Hi,
	improper BMC firmware version may be one of the reasons for not
getting proper results. Can you follow the steps provided in the html
link below since I don't have PE1750 right now. Some people were
successful in getting values through ipmitool in 1750.

http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2004-August/016103.ht
ml

It may be useful for solving ur sensor reading problem. You can also try
panicsel-1.4.6 instead of ipmitool which will be  available in
http://panicsel.sourceforge.net

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Munsch [mailto:rmunsch at solutionsforprogress.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 04, 2007 2:30 AM
To: K, Krishnaprasad
Cc: linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: Re: "command response could not be provided"

Krishnaprasad_K at Dell.com wrote:
> U can check the BMC firmware version in www.support.dell.com
>
> Also if openmanage software is installed in ur machine ( 1750 ) u can
> check the CPU temp. by executing omreport chassis temps command.

The sample output was just that - a sample.  As i stated originally,
about half the information total is coming up "could not be provided" -
not just the cputemp info at the top.

Are you saying, then, that the only cause of these odd results would be
having an old version of the firmware installed on the BMC that came
with the machine when we bought it?  I'm not sure i really understand
your suggestion.  I'm looking for the cause of this message appearing
when the BMC is polled via OpenIPMI.