OMSA 5.1 on Debian, User permissions ?

Dean Manners deanm at ispone.com.au
Wed Jan 3 19:46:12 CST 2007

I have several PE1950 machines running Debian Sarge with 2.6.18.  Using the
.deb port from ftp://ftp.sara.nl/pub/sara-omsa I have installed OMSA 5.1 -
which installs without error.  However for some entirely frustrating reason
I am unable to execute most of the omreport commands, receiving "User has
insufficient privileges.

# omreport -?

omreport         Reports component properties.

The available command(s) are:

Command          Description
about            Product and version properties.
system           System component properties.
storage          Display storage component properties.

Usage: omreport <command...> [name=value...] ... [option...]

# omreport chassis -?

omreport         Reports component properties.

The available command(s) are:

Command          Description
Error! User has insufficient privileges to run command.

This is run whilst being root, so permission problem seems a little odd.
The strange thing is I have installed the same .deb port on some of the
machines, and without any other intervention have been able to execute all
omreport commands.

Looking at an strace of omreport chassis -?, the only part that stands out
is:
open("/etc/passwd", O_RDONLY)           = 4
fcntl64(4, F_GETFD)                     = 0
fcntl64(4, F_SETFD, FD_CLOEXEC)         = 0
_llseek(4, 0, [0], SEEK_CUR)            = 0
fstat64(4, {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644, st_size=953, ...}) = 0
mmap2(NULL, 953, PROT_READ, MAP_SHARED, 4, 0) = 0xb7f65000
_llseek(4, 953, [953], SEEK_SET)        = 0

Is there some config/place that the OMSA CLI uses to identify user
permissions ? As it doesn't to be recognising that root is Admin level.

Regards