Megaraid with brakes on?

BSmith at lyrix.com BSmith at lyrix.com
Wed Jan 3 16:25:56 CST 2007

Well, you're asking the system to cache ~30GB of data using just the
onboard RAID controller's memory and the available "free" system RAM.
Since the system doesn't have 30GB of memory (I'm guessing), then the job
of getting data falls back to the disks themselves.  The system is
configured with one large RAID 5 array, so any IO request makes the heads
on all 3 disks move to get the data.  For.  Each.  File.   Having ~10
million files @ 3K each is just about the worst possible case for a RAID 5
configuration.   Better to split the IO across many disks (either multiple
RAID 1 or no RAID at all) so you have multiple drive heads independently
accessing different files - but of course this requires that the http
server and configuration know about each drive's filesystem since they
would be separate instead of one giant filesystem like it is now.
Upgrading to 15K rpm drives would also help a little.

- Brian

"Martin Sarsale" <martin at malditainternet.com>
Sent by: linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com
01/03/2007 03:41 PM