BIOS / firmware update CD?

Mike M saetaes at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 14:34:01 CST 2007

On 1/2/07, Keith <krbaker+dpe at metacarta.com> wrote:
> Except not all of dell's updates come in floppy form to be PXE'd.  Some
> are .iso's only.  While I can yank out the image from the boot blocks of
> the CD-Rom I hate the need to do this for each and every update, not to
> mention that each one needs a reboot an human intervention.

Having just fought with a PowerEdge 2650 running RHEL 2.1, which
apparently has an outdated (according to Dell) glibc, the current SUU
solution just isn't feasible.  I now have a box with firmware I can't
update with the latest critical updates because the packages don't run
on the OS, which means that I have 2 options:

1) Install another "supported" OS (whatever that means - we still have
current RHEL 2.1 subscriptions, it's not like we're running NT 3.5.1
or something)
2) Roll my own PXE/Knoppix/whatever solution to get this to work

Oh, and if it doesn't meet the prereqs, then I have to go through the
whole mess again making a prereq PXE/Knoppix image.

WHY DOES MY OS NEED TO BE RUNNING AND HAVE VERY SPECIFIC PACKAGES TO
UPDATE FIRMWARE?!?!   This is absolutely ludicrous.

Mike