PowerEdge 750 and newer kernels

Marc DeTrano marc at gridshield.net
Tue Jan 2 11:39:17 CST 2007

I am having trouble with a couple of PE 750 systems we support, running
Mandriva Linux (2006).  It seems that after upgrading to a kernel
version  2.6.12.x or higher, these systems are prone to kernel panic
once in a while (the busier system will usually die within a week).
After much trial and error, I found a downgrade to a 2.6.11.x kernel
(smp) will eliminate these occurrences.   Not sure if this is observed
for Linux distros in general, or just something in Mandriva's kernel
packages.  We have tried updating the bios, but the same problem was
observed.  Just wondering if anyone has seen the same issue, and may
know of a way to fix it?