memory test on Linux

Artur Shnayder artur at shnayder.com
Wed Oct 11 10:26:34 CDT 2006

Thank you Harald, it worked out.

  _____

From: Harald_Jensas at Dell.com [mailto:Harald_Jensas at Dell.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 11, 2006 3:34 AM
To: artur at shnayder.com
Cc: linux-poweredge at lists.us.dell.com
Subject: RE: memory test on Linux

Hi,

Memdisk is part of the SYSLINUX package, the bootloader..

Memdisk is a pice of software that can load a floppy or harddrive image into
a RAM drive and then it will boot from the RAM drive.

Memdisk is not a part of the Dell CD image.

What you need to do is:

1. Download this file: http://ftp.us.dell.com/diags/MP1038A0.tar.gz

2. Extract that file to /boot

3. Copy the file "memdisk" from the syslinux package into /boot

  The "memdisk" file is usually found in "/usr/lib/syslinux"

4. Edit your bootloader configuration.

  Example bootloader config for grub:

        title Dell Memory Test

            kernel /memdisk

            initrd /Mlp10381.img

6. Now reboot your system and select "Dell Memory Test" in the Grub
bootloader.

7. Run the tests..

Regards

Harald Jensås