IPMItool returns false value on PowerEdge 1950

Simon Gao gao at schrodinger.com
Fri Dec 29 13:38:44 CST 2006

Harald_Jensas at dell.com wrote:
>> To: linux-poweredge-Lists
>> Subject: Re: IPMItool returns false value on PowerEdge 1950
>>

> Have a look at page 86, 87 and 89 in this document.
>
> http://www.intel.com/design/xeon/datashts/313355.htm
>
> There is no diode in the new processors to read an absolute CPU temperature from. The value you are seeing as negative is a releative value that the system use to control the fan's.
>
> Quote:
> "Fan speed control solutions utilize a TControl value stored in the processor
> IA32_TEMPERATURE_TARGET MSR. Prior to Dual-Core Intel Xeon Processor 5100
> Series, TControl represented a diode temperature. With Dual-Core Intel Xeon Processor
> 5100 Series, TControl represents an offset from TCC activation temperature.The DTS
> outputs temperature offsets over the PECI interface in response to a GetTemp0()
> command and these offsets are relative values vs. an absolute values."
>

> Since GetTemp0() is used both on older CPUs with a diode, absolute values, and newer CPUs with digital thermal sensors, relative values, the BMC will add the sensor to the SDR list. And thus on systems with a newer CPU you will get the confusing relative readings.
>
> I am not sure if this can be fixed, or if this can be fixed in BMC firmware or ipmitool...
>

> Your hardware is working as expected. Just disregard the CPU temp values you are seeing.

I don't think this is an acceptable option. Dell should put a patch out
to help convert relative value to accurate absolute value. There will be
a time when such absolute value is necessary and required in
troubleshooting system problem might be related to CPU or system
overheating. It's very helpful to tell if fans fail to keep up with work.

Maybe you should check if HP Proliant machines with the same CPU have
the similar problem. If not, then you guys got to do something about it.

Simon