CentOS & PowerEdge 2850

Fitzgerald, David (NE) David.Fitzgerald at gdc4s.com
Fri Dec 29 10:59:07 CST 2006

I've got a PowerEdge 2850 and I'm attempting to install CentOS 4.4.  I
had it all installed, and left it for a few weeks.  When I came back the
system was down hard.  When I go into Setup, the BIOS tells me there is
no RAID adaptor present, so my only options are Floppy, CD, and PXE.

When I installed it the first time, I had two 36GB Fujitsu drives, and
three 73 GB Maxtor drives.  All are U320 10K drives.  I didn't configure
the RAID initially, but I believe they were a RAID 1 and a RAID 5 array.
The drives are all still installed, but bothing sees them.  If I attempt
a reinstall from ISOs, I get a kernel panic.

To me, it appears as though the RAID adpator has failed, but I wanted to
see if anybody else is familiar with anything that might be causing
this.  BIOS on the server is A06.  I attempted to run a BIOS update for
the PERC 4e/Di, and it said it couldn't find a RAID adaptor.

This 2850 is one of the black ones, not one of the newer gray ones.  Not
sure what the differences are.  When I type in the Service Code at
Dell's Support page, it isn't too helpful

Thanks!