IPMItool returns false value on PowerEdge 1950 [REASON FOUND]

Peter Kjellstrom cap at nsc.liu.se
Fri Dec 29 08:25:31 CST 2006

On Friday 29 December 2006 14:02, Harald_Jensas at dell.com wrote:
> > To: linux-poweredge-Lists
> > Subject: Re: IPMItool returns false value on PowerEdge 1950
>
> Have a look at page 86, 87 and 89 in this document.

Interesting :-) So intel simply opted to change from reporting absolute
temperatures to reporting degrees left until the chip starts melting (with a
minus sign..). The below text is from the document you mentioned:

---
The temperature reported over PECI is always a negative value and represents a
delta below the onset of thermal control circuit (TCC) activation, as
indicated by PROCHOT#. Therefore, as the temperature approaches TCC
activation, the value approaches zero degrees Celsius.
---

IMHO this is no longer anything that should be reported as a temperatur, too
confusing that. Maybe it should be called a cpu-feeling-ok-index ;-)

Btw, I'm curious, how does OMSA handle this new behaviour?

/Peter