dell 6850 with PERC 4e/di boot from third logical disk problem

mcclnx mcc mcclnx at yahoo.com.tw
Thu Dec 28 14:09:35 CST 2006

I have DELL 6850 with PERC 4e/Di RAID card (firmware
version 522A).  The O.S. is CentOS 4.4.  I configured
5 internal disks to 3 logical groups.  CentOS instlled
on first logical disk and I also clone first logical
disk  to third logical disk.  It mean both first
logical disk and third logical disk are same.

I tried to boot up from third logical disk and use
following way:

   1. boot system
   2. Control-M to PERC firmware menu
   3. change "boot drive" to 2   <== third logical
disk
   4. reboot server with bootable CD in it

It still boot from first disk instead of third disk
(supposely after "boot drive" set to 2, third disk
will be /dev/sda and first disk will be /dev/sdc).

Does anyone know why it don't work?

Thanks.