PowerEdge 2650 freezing up

Jason Wozniak jwozniak at henkels.com
Fri Dec 22 11:28:35 CST 2006

I had a 6850 locking up with no logging, and had to set up a serial
console to identify the problem.  Turned out to be an issue with the
AIC7xxx driver, and our adaptec 39160 HBA connected to our tape library.
It has not been fixed to date, but we are working around it somewhat
successfully by making sure backups, and restores don't overlap, and we
also adjusted the scsi timeout values upward to 14000.

I also yanked the DRAC as I didn't need it, and it was the cause of a
couple of different problems in the past.  Diagnostics on it hung the
server with OMSA 4.5, and it kept spitting out errors in the logs that I
got rid of by disabling the virtual cdrom.  I forget what they were now
though...