PowerEdge 2650 freezing up

Thu Dec 21 22:18:07 CST 2006

Are you running OMSA? Sometimes this will give you information that the
drivers or kernel won't.

Also you could try PowerEdge Diagnostics to try and find out if
something is wrong with the hardware:
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&
releaseid=R133834&SystemID=PWE_FOS_XEO_2650&os=LIN4&osl=en&deviceid=7603
&devlib=0&typecnt=1&vercnt=1&formatcnt=2&libid=13&fileid=178199

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com
[mailto:linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com] On Behalf Of Joshua Colvin
Sent: Thursday, December 21, 2006 2:05 PM
To: linux-poweredge-Lists
Subject: PowerEdge 2650 freezing up

Hi all,

We have a PowerEdge 2650 with RHEL ES 4.0 U4, kernel 2.6.9-22.0.1.ELsmp,
which has frozen-up 3 times in the past month. The first time was Nov
21, then second 2 days ago, and again today. "Freezing-up" means you
cannot ping it, ssh into it, and if you are ssh into it your session is
frozen. The only thing I've been able to do is reboot and add more
monitoring. I can't find a pattern; ps, netstat, nfsstat, vmstat all
report normal values of operation, /var/log/messages shows nothing out
of the ordinary, and the box is not even under a heavy load.
Because of this I'm suspecting a HW issue, maybe failing power supply, a
short or bad RAM. I'm not familiar with the 2650, but whenever I've had
HW issues on PowerEdge 1850's, Dell always outputs a message in
/var/log/messages. I am wondering if anyone knows of ways I can test the
HW-side of things, to start ruling things out?

I am trying to set this up:
http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/FAQ_80_4154.shtm
however since I inherited the system and am unfamiliar with DRAC it's
not yet set up.

Thanks for any tips,
Josh