PowerEdge 2850 and OMSA 5.0 - IPMI not working

Dennis_Helleur at ca1.uscourts.gov Dennis_Helleur at ca1.uscourts.gov
Thu Dec 21 13:53:32 CST 2006

I'm currently dealing with OMSA 5.1/5.1.1 on a 2950 in FC5.  Just off the
top of my head it looks like you are missing the

instsvc-drivers<version>

package....

If that is there, then I would try a reboot - I've seen some parts not
startup right away after install (dependencies maybe) and then see what
ipmi says.  In 5.1, openipmi depends on DKMS, so that might be something
to check as well.

Thanks.

Dennis J. Helleur Jr.

"Chris Jones" <cjones at cdot.ca>
Sent by: linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com
12/21/2006 12:11 PM

<linux-poweredge at dell.com>
cc

Subject
PowerEdge 2850 and OMSA 5.0 - IPMI not working

Hey all,

I have a PowerEdge 2850 running RedHat Enterprise 4.0 and running into
an issue with Dell OMSA 5.0.0 and IPMI. When starting
(srvadmin-services.sh start), the IMPI driver fails to load. If I run
"/etc/init.d/dsm_sa_ipmi status" I get the following output:

ipmi_msghandler module not loaded.
ipmi_si module not loaded.
ipmi_devintf module not loaded.
/dev/ipmi0 does not exist. <-- This is obviously a problem

The following packages are installed:

openipmi-33.13.RHEL4-1dkms
dkms-2.0.11-1
srvadmin-deng-5.0.0-463
srvadmin-odf-5.0.0-463
srvadmin-iws-5.0.0-463
srvadmin-old-5.0.0-463
srvadmin-storage-5.0.0-463
srvadmin-ipmi-5.0.0-463.rhel4
srvadmin-isvc-5.0.0-463
srvadmin-base-1-0
srvadmin-omilcore-5.0.0-463
srvadmin-omacore-5.0.0-463
srvadmin-jre-5.0.0-463
srvadmin-web-interface-1-0
srvadmin-diagnostics-1-0
srvadmin-cm-5.0.0-463
srvadmin-hapi-5.0.0-463
srvadmin-omhip-5.0.0-463
srvadmin-all-1-0

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
-Chris
Chris Jones, Sr. Systems & Network Engineer
CDot Networks Inc.- www.cdot.ca
Suite 224-2323 Quebec St.
Vancouver, B.C. V5T 4S7

E: cjones at cdot.ca
T: 604-484-4222 Ext. 101
F: 604-648-9645

PGP key fingerprint = 32B3 C5B9 0555 F6A0 E7CF  C6AA 23C2 B568 782E FD46