Happy Holidays from Dell

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Wed Dec 20 17:04:27 CST 2006

Happy Holidays.  We very much appreciate the thousands of sysadmins
who participate on this mailing list - keeping the Linux community
vibrant, helping each other out.  Thanks!

We've had several milestones this year to celebrate.

* 9th Generation PowerEdge Servers, with Linux available on day 1, pre-installed.
* 3 new Precision Workstations launched, with Linux available on day
  1, pre-installed.
* addition of Novell/SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 9 SP3 and 10 to the
  supported OS lineup
* Xen virtualization in SLES10, our first Linux virtualization product.
* OpenManage 5.0 and 5.1 releases, with 100% open source, GPL-licensed
  drivers.
* firmware-tools project creation, with >200 systems' latest BIOS
  images posted and easily installed via 'yum'.
* libsmbios, dkms, bios_dev_name project enhancements
* Creation of the Unofficial YUM repository with OMSA, firmware-tools,
  and libsmbios projects in it, supporting a several Linux distributions.
* Creation of the linux-desktops mailing list for discussions of Linux
  on our desktops and notebooks.

2007 has lots of good things in store too, with Red Hat Enterprise
Linux 5 on horizon.

Dell engineering offices are generally closed over the next two weeks
for the holidays.  I know I'll be spending time away with family and
friends, and hope you can also.

Thanks,
Matt

--