fakeraid/dmraid and PowerEdge SC440

Kevin Davidson kevin at indigospring.co.uk
Tue Dec 19 15:38:24 CST 2006

On 19 Dec 2006, at 02:06, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 12:38:51AM +0000, Kevin Davidson wrote:
>
> There is no such thing as "RAID cabling" in SATA.  All of SATA
> controller<->drive point-to-point connection.

I know that, but that was the option as described when buying the
server. I've been through the process on the US site as well for
comparison and it looks like the SC440 you get in the US is a very
different beast - lots more choices.

> If it is attached to the ICH7 SATA controller, then you have no RAID
> capability in your hardware.  Thus, the ATA driver presents exactly
> what
> the hardware presents.

The ICH7 ought to be supported, and there's definitely one in the
box, but there's no way to tweak it from the BIOS :-(

> But honestly, why bother?  It's all software, so just use the
> production-tested Linux software RAID driver (MD).

An easy life - I'd rather mirror the whole disk, than faff about
matching partition sizes and mirror individual partitions. Running
LVM on top of MD RAID sounds like too much to go wrong, too.

Thanks

Kevin Davidson
Technical Director

t 0870 745 4001