fakeraid/dmraid and PowerEdge SC440

Kevin Davidson kevin at indigospring.co.uk
Mon Dec 18 18:38:51 CST 2006

Hi

I'm setting up a brand new SC440 with SUSE (actually openSUSE 10.2
x86_64). It has a pair of 250Gb SATA disks, and when ordered the
option was ticked that they be cabled up for RAID 1. The config
ordered should be using the onboard Intel ICH7 SATA controller to
support the mirroring.

However Linux sees the 2 disks as separate drives. There is nowhere
in the BIOS menus to turn RAID1/0 on or off - just to turn each of
the SATA drives 0-3 on or off. Running "dmraid -ay" (or any other
dmraid command reports that there are no RAID disks available. I'd
hoped the installation setup CD would help, but all that did for me
was set the clock :-(

Am I doing something wrong? Using the wrong version of dmraid/
fakeraid (it's 1.0.0.rc13 which seems to be the latest)? Using the
wrong ATA driver? Or am I just stuffed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. And before anyone suggests the
SAS5iR card, that  doesn't seem to be an option here in the UK - only
the SAS5i (no R) can be ordered with the SC440 :-(

Kevin Davidson
Technical Director

t 0870 745 4001
m 07813 149620