Performance/stability problems on PowerEdge 1950

Robin Humble rjh+dellpe at cita.utoronto.ca
Mon Dec 18 15:50:07 CST 2006

On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 10:49:57AM -0000, Harry Roberts wrote:
>  The only thing we've found so far to stop the issue is running RedHat's customized 2.6.9 kernel, I know it won't really help, but if it's an all-or-nothing situation it's either that or re-install with RedHat EL.

which elevator are you using with your kernels?
the default is usually 'anticipatory' which is good for desktop, but
apparently doesn't perform well under multiple client loads.
  http://www.redhat.com/magazine/008jun05/features/schedulers/

>OTOH, is anybody here using SAS based 1950s with CentOS under really high disk load?

we have one of those machines.
do you have a high disk load benchmark that will trigger the problem?
perhaps multiple bonnie++'s? iozone? or a small test code?

cheers,
robin