enlarging mirror

Arnar Þórarinsson art at caa.is
Sun Dec 17 12:02:17 CST 2006

Thank you for that useful article Matt :)
But for my situation I'm enlarging a mirror so just to be sure... To
enlarge my mirror I would do:

container reconfigure 0 (0,0,0) (0,1,0) /partition_size=279GB

since (0,0,0) and (0,1,0) are members of the mirror and partition size
279GB ( 211 GB free plus 68GB already used )

correct ? ... not much about this in the documentation for afacli/PERC
and I'm not that used to using afacli

Regards
/Arnar

p.s. output from afacli below

AFA0> disk show partition
Executing: disk show partition

Scsi   Partition     Container  MultiLevel
B:ID:L Offset:Size   Num Type   Num Type   R/W
------ ------------- --- ------ --- ------ ---
0:00:0 64.0KB:68.3GB  0  Mirror  0  None   RW
0:01:0 64.0KB:68.3GB  0  Mirror  0  None   RW

AFA0> disk show space
Executing: disk show space

Scsi B:ID:L Usage      Size
----------- ---------- -------------
  0:00:0     Container 64.0KB:68.3GB
  0:00:0     Free      68.3GB: 211GB
  0:01:0     Container 64.0KB:68.3GB
  0:01:0     Free      68.3GB: 211GB

AFA0> container list
Executing: container list
Num          Total  Oth Chunk          Scsi   Partition
Label Type   Size   Ctr Size   Usage   B:ID:L Offset:Size
----- ------ ------ --- ------ ------- ------ -------------
 0    Mirror 68.3GB            Open    0:01:0 64.0KB:68.3GB
 /dev/sda             OS               0:00:0 64.0KB:68.3GB

On Sun, 2006-12-17 at 09:51 -0600, Matt Domsch wrote:
> > I have a PE 1650 box running redhat 9
> > This box had 2x68GB disks mirrored but was running out of space
> > so I got me two 300GB disks and replaced one of the mirror disk and then
> > the other so now I have 2x300GB disks in the mirror.  Question is, how
> > do I get the OS to see the new space ? do I have to do something more in
> > afacli to be able to use the additional space ?
>

> It's been awhile since we posted this link, but it has suggestions
> that I think are applicable to both your question and several others
> posted recently.
>
> http://www.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/power/en/ps1q03_michael
> Expanding Storage on Linux-based Servers
> By Matt Domsch and Tesfamariam Michael (February 2003 Dell PowerSolutions)

> frequently must add additional storage space to existing file
> servers. This article describes how to add and configure local storage
> space on a file server running the Red Hat Linux operating system
> (OS). Three scenarios are presented: adding disks without a RAID
> controller, adding disks to a new logical drive on a RAID controller,
> and adding disks to an existing logical drive on a RAID controller.
>
> Thanks,
> Matt

Thessi tolvupostur og vidhengi hans geta innihaldid
trunadarupplysingar og er eingongu aetladur theim sem hann er
stiladur a.
Oheimil medferd tolvuposts thessa og vidhengja hans getur vardad
skadabota- og refsiabyrgd samkvaemt logum um fjarskipti. Efni
tolvupostsins og vidhengja er a abyrgd sendanda ef thad tengist
ekki starfsemi Flugmalastjornar Islands. Ef Thu ert ekki skradur
mottakandi og hefur fengid skeytid vegna mistaka, vinsamlegast
hafdu strax samband vid sendanda.

This e-mail and its attachments is intended only for the person or
and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission,
dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in
reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than
the intended recipient is prohibited.
delete the material from any computer.