SC1430

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Fri Dec 15 21:19:12 CST 2006

On Fri, Dec 15, 2006 at 01:56:25PM -0700, Glenn English wrote:

> I'm having significant probs with my collection of 3 SC1430 servers.
>
> KVM switch:
> I'm using a Dell keyboard behind a Raritan Switchman USB KVM switch, and
> sometimes the BIOS doesn't see a keyboard. After boot, the OS (Debian
> etch) does, so the difficulty shows up only at boot and when I'm trying
> to install. Plugging the keyboard directly into one of the front panel
> USB ports and rebooting gets the keyboard back. And it happens only
> sometimes, so I'm assuming there's something going wrong in the BIOS.
>
> SCSI disks:
> I want to run these servers with a SCSI system disk and a pair of SATAs
> for large data files. I installed an Adaptec card in a PCI slot, but the
> machine seems to want to load from one of the SATAs -- not boot, but
> load; the BIOS seems to boot from the disk I ask it to. This is all the
> doing of the OS, I think -- udev creates 'sda' and sdb' nodes in /dev
> for the SATAs, and grub gets confused about what's what. It gets to the
> point where it's "Waiting for the root filesystem" and hangs.
>
> Things are fine once they get booted and running, but I haven't been
> able to create a grub menu / BIOS configuration that will reliably boot
> the system, unattended, after a power failure.
>
> Have any of you seen any of this? And/or know solutions?

You'll want to modify /etc/modprobe.conf and make sure the driver
for your SCSI disk loads before the driver for your SATA disks, then
remake the initrd and reboot.

udev creates device nodes after the kernel sees the storage, so you've
got to get the drivers loaded in the right order first.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch