dell 2650 with perc3/di debian3.1 aacraid driver

Stephen Kneuper skneuper at tsl.state.tx.us
Fri Dec 15 10:47:52 CST 2006

Hello... my first post in a new job, getting my feet wet.

I have a Dell 2650 with the Perc3/di controller, five disks set up as one RAID 5 array.  Debian 3.1 with the 2.6.8-2-386 kernel, and from "dmesg" the aacraid driver reads "Red Hat/Adaptec aacraid driver (1.1.2-lk2 Aug 16 2005)".

Two times it has locked up early AM with the messages of bad journal writes or some such ilk.

I've scanned thru the last year to 18 months of linux-poweredge email, and know that I now need to make sure firmware is current and perhaps how to get a later driver.  Else the Perc3/di is a "pile of poo".

Any other advice?  Debian 3.1 is a given at our site, and the machine is the major in house server and I don't want to change things willy nilly.  I did mount the filesystems with "noactime".

--steve