IPMItool returns false value on PowerEdge 1950

Fred Skrotzki fskrotzki at textwise.com
Fri Dec 15 07:46:44 CST 2006

Several comments that might help.
1. What version of OMSA do you have installed?  Depending on that you might have issues to start.
2. If you are using OMSA 5.x then update the box to CentOS 4.4 it has newer stuff.
3. download and build the ipmitool 1.8.7 or 1.8.8 (1.8.9 is being worked on but will take at least another week or two).

We don't have any 1950's currently but I've seen this problem when using OMSA 4.x on other servers as it installs a special dell version of the ipmi interface that conflicts with openipmi and can cause all kinds of weird stuff if you attempt to have both running at once.  You need to run one or the other at any given instant.  That is the reason to use OMSA 5.x which now uses openipmi and solves that problem.