How do I know what Linux to use???

J. Epperson linux-poweredge at epperson.homelinux.net
Fri Dec 15 07:36:08 CST 2006

On Fri, December 15, 2006 07:24, Cliff Peet wrote:
> Centos is a Marvel for Free !
> A consideration on using Centos is compatibility  with Dell PowerEdge
> servers.  Dell supports Red Hat Enterprise Linux but not Centos. I
> have had some issues with the Ext3 journaling and or the raid array
> drivers that I am not confident have been solved, apart from the
> Centos forums you are on your own.
>
> The dell open management is again supporting Red Hat Enterprise Linux
> but not Centos. Dell is going to supply drivers etc for the supported
> operating systems and they may well work with Centos, but if you have
> a problem your stuffed. Remembering that Centos is free and the
> forums are supplying you help free of charge. I have posted a problem
> on there 4 or 5 times without answer.
>
> You may consider paying out for Red Hat Enterprise Linux and have a
> bit of support ?

I don't think you'll get any significant hardware-specific support from
Dell _or_ Red Hat on a 6350, which is six generations back from the
current product line.  You're probably best off with anything that will
run, that you have significant knowledge of, and that has a robust peer
support community.