How do I know what Linux to use???

William Warren hescominsoon at emmanuelcomputerconsulting.com
Fri Dec 15 06:06:26 CST 2006

I would use Centos.

Pete Breitenbaugh wrote:
> Many thanks to all respondents...
>
> When I try to install FC6 it hangs up when loading the SCSI driver aic7xxx then reboots.
>
> I was able to successfully install FC4 & get it running.
>
> Any ideas on how to get FC6 loaded?
> I've already checked the FC6 install disks & they are fine.
> I've used them to install a couple desktop machines that I use for testing.
>
> TIA,
> Pete.

>>> x86_64
>>> ppc
>>>
>>> How do we tell which to use?
> [SNIP]
>> ----
>> that's a pretty old system and a very new Linux
>>
>> Choose i386 as I presume that the 4 Intel 550 MHz processors are either
>> Pentium 2 or Pentium 3
>>
>> I think you might be in trouble on the RAID controller though if it's a
>> Perc 2
>
> It's an old piece of hardware, but a moose.  I run FC4 on one at my
> church, mostly doing Samba. My theory is that with volunteer tech support
> consisting mostly of me, it's good to have a machine that can keep running
> with three failed processors, two failed power supplies, and two failed
> disk drives (RAID 5 with hotspare).  And with that thing in the basement,
> we'll never have any problems with pipes freezing!
>
> The normal 6350 RAID solution was Adaptec AACRAID, which has not
> encountered the intermittent support issues of legacy Megaraid, in my
> experience.  I've run this box from FC2 thru FC4, and I think the only
> RAID issue I've hit was a broken initrd on one kernel upgrade.  Booted
> from previous kernel and manually ran mkinitrd again and all was well.

My "Foundation" verse:
Isa 54:17  No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and
every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt
condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their
righteousness is of me, saith the LORD.

-- carpe ductum -- "Grab the tape"
CDTT (Certified Duct Tape Technician)

Linux user #322099