BUG: IPMItool returns false value on PowerEdge 1950

Halomoan Chow halomoan at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 21:49:07 CST 2006

Dear All

On our DELL PowerEdge 1950 (dual processors), we used

- CentOS 4.3 (kernel 2.6.9-34.ELsmp)
- Utility from this website: http://linux.dell.com/files/openipmi

1. ipmitool-1.8.2-1.rhel4.i386.rpm
2. openipmi-33.13.RHEL4-1dkms.tar.gz

After installation, we run this command to query temperature information:

$ ipmitool sdr

Temp             | -46 degrees C     | ok
Temp             | -43 degrees C     | ok
Temp             | 40 degrees C      | ok
Temp             | 40 degrees C      | ok
Ambient Temp     | 30 degrees C      | ok
CMOS Battery     | 0x00              | ok
ROMB Battery     | 0x00              | ok
VCORE            | 0x01              | ok
VCORE            | 0x01              | ok
CPU VTT          | 0x01              | ok
1.5V PG          | 0x01              | ok
1.8V PG          | 0x01              | ok
3.3V PG          | 0x01              | ok

We got 2 minus temperatures and 3 positive temperatures.

About the minus temperatures:
- Impossible we have minus in the temperatures even the numbers keep changing.
About the positive temperatures:
- The two 40 degrees C: never get change and look like these
temperature sensors do not work
- The 30 degrees C: sometimes change but very small from 30 to 33

Is this a bug of opemipmi for CentOS OS ? And how to solve this ?

Notes: Using the OpenIpmi that come with the PE 1950 CD also doesn't work.

Thanks.

Regards,

Halomoan