Dell PowerEdge 1950 "freezes" with E1410 error using Fedora Core 5

Stephen Carville stephen at totalflood.com
Wed Dec 13 18:18:02 CST 2006

Rarig, Harry wrote:
> I'm running Fedora Core 5 x86_64 on a Dell PowerEdge 1950 and am experiencing frequent lockups which cause a blinking orange LED on the rear of the chassis and a scrolling E1410 (Internal CPU problem) on the display.
>
> Is this a hardware problem or a Fedora Core 5 incompatiblity issue?
>
> Anybody on this list have any success running Fedora Core 5 on the Dell PowerEdge 1950?
>
> I'm using a "stock" kernel: 2.6.18-1.2239.fc5 #1 SMP Fri Nov 10 12:51:06 EST 2006 x86_64
>
> Any help would be appreciated!

Are you using hardware RAID and/or X?  I've had occasional problems with
'stock' hardware RAID drivers on Dell hardware.  Check and see if Dell
has their own driver available on their download site.

I had a identical problem with the 2650's (ATI Rage) and X above 800x600
resolution.  I solved that one by turning off X and using VNC or
displaying back to my Linux workstation whenever I absolutely needed a
GUI (like for Oracle installs).

--
Stephen Carville <stephen at totalflood.com>
Unix and Network Admin