how to pull out hard drive on PE2450

Cris Rhea crhea at mayo.edu
Wed Dec 13 13:02:00 CST 2006

> hi, there,
> I know this is not a Linux-on-Dell question. I have two PE2450s in
> production. Two of the four drive bays on each server are in use. I need to
> replace one bad drive. I couldn't pull out the bad drive or the empty
> placeholder casings, on both servers.
> Is some trick I don't know about this model? I inherited them which are
> bought new from Dell long long ago. To be sure, I even asked a co-lo
> engineer to pull it out for me. I am not a newbie on this: I replaced
> hot-pluggable drives before, on Sun StorEdge arrays and on other Dell PE
> servers.

Open the top cover. There's an aluminum "spike" that locks the drives into the bays.
Pull the spike out (and throw it away). Use the cam-lock on the front of the drives
just like every other drive you've seen...

The "spike" prevents people from stealing your drives-- on a 2450, the front cover
didn't lock like they do on all of the newer models. You could lock the top cover--
and this would secure your system.

HTH.

--- Cris

--
 Cristopher J. Rhea                     Mayo Foundation
 Research Computing Facility             Pavilion 2-25