how to pull out hard drive on PE2450

Cody_Sparks at Dell.com Cody_Sparks at Dell.com
Wed Dec 13 12:17:44 CST 2006

Yes, if you can open the cover panels hot, you can remove the pin hot.
And a diagram is at figure 13 of the "removing and replacing parts" in
the manual:
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/pe2450/en/sm/remove.htm

The bezel on this system was optional, so locking the cover panel with a
pin in the drives was an effective means of keeping somebody from
stealing drives.  Now servers come with lockable bezels by default.

--Cody

________________________________

	From: linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com
[mailto:linux-poweredge-bounces at dell.com] On Behalf Of Jerry Yu
	Sent: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 12:03 PM
	To: linux-poweredge-Lists
	Subject: Re: how to pull out hard drive on PE2450

	man, what's the point of having hot-pluggable if you have to
open the case to even pull it out?   rants aside, can I do it hot?

	On 12/13/06, Sturgis, Grant <Grant.Sturgis at arraybiopharma.com>
wrote:

		I believe there is locking mechanism.  Look just inside
the case, near
		the backplane, for a metal tab to pull out and remove.

		Worse case, go to www.dell.com and read the manual.

		HTH,

		-G
		------

		Jerry Yu wrote:
		> hi, there,
		> I know this is not a Linux-on-Dell question. I have
two PE2450s in
		> production. Two of the four drive bays on each server
are in use. I need
		> to replace one bad drive. I couldn't pull out the bad
drive or the empty
		> placeholder casings, on both servers.
		> Is some trick I don't know about this model? I
inherited them which are
		> bought new from Dell long long ago. To be sure, I even
asked a co-lo
		> engineer to pull it out for me. I am not a newbie on
this: I replaced
		> hot-pluggable drives before, on Sun StorEdge arrays
and on other Dell PE
		> servers.

		This electronic message transmission is a PRIVATE
communication which contains
		information which may be confidential or privileged. The
information is intended
		to be for the use of the individual or entity named
above. If you are not the
		intended recipient, please be aware that any disclosure,
copying, distribution
		or use of the contents of this information is
prohibited. Please notify the
		sender  of the delivery error by replying to this
message, or notify us by
		telephone (877-633-2436, ext. 0), and then delete it
from your system.