debian on poweredge 2950

Matt Richardson marichar at csusb.edu
Wed Dec 13 10:30:49 CST 2006

Anderson, Steven wrote:
> I have a Dell Poweredge 2950 with a PERC 5 configured as a 300GB RAID
> 5,
> dual broadcom gigabit network adapters
> 4GB RAM
> DVD/CD-rom
> no floppy
>
> I am not able to load the debian-31-r4 release due to it can not see
> the network cards
>
> If I tell the load that I do not have a NIC and it continues it does
> not see the disk.
>
> I found a Dell linux site http://linux.dell.com/debian_9g.shtml that
> recommended I download and load build 1115
>
> I loaded this version and during the build it recognizes the NICs and
> the hard disk, but after the reboot it no longer recognizes the NICs

I just installed Etch yesterday on a 2950.  Etch is frozen now, so is
really close to being the new stable.  Both NICs were recognized
(although in reverse order, as mentioned on the link you sited) by the
installer.  You can download the .iso from

http://www.us.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/

I chose Etch to save from having to do a dist-upgrade from Sarge.

--
Matt Richardson
IT Consultant