1955 Chassis - Wedged KVM

Mark Watts m.watts at eris.qinetiq.com
Wed Dec 13 03:15:37 CST 2006

> > > will this have any effect on the rest of the chassis? ie will blades
> > > continue to run as normal ?
> > >
> > > thanks
> >
> > It worked when I did it to an 1855 Chassis.
> > I've actually swapped between Analog and Digital KVM's without affecting
> > running systems before.
> >
> > Mark.
>
> This past weekend I had to shutdown all the blades and power cycle the
> chassis to un-stick the KVM in our 1955 Chassis.
>
> How did you get the Digital connection to work?  When I tried connecting
> the digital port to a Dell 2161DS KVM over IP Switch it did not do
> anything.  The only way I could get access was to use the Analog
> converter cable that comes with the chassis and connect it to one of the
> SIP modules.

It's a little confusing since both the Analog and Digital KVM's look
physically similar.

The RJ45 port on the Digital KVM is a 10/100 LAN port for KVM-over-IP.
The RJ45 Port on the Analog KVM is for daisy-chaining to other Dell/Avocent
KVM's like the 2161DS using Cat5 cable. It's NOT a LAN port.

This means you do need to use a SIP module to daisy-chain the Digital KVM into
the 2161DS.
However, the Digital KVM's allow you to do KVM redirection via the DRAC cards,
so it's a toss-up as to which one is more useful.

Mark.

--
Mark Watts BSc RHCE MBCS
Senior Systems Engineer