PERC 5/i question

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 08:31:56 CST 2006

On 12/12/06, William Warren <hescominsoon at emmanuelcomputerconsulting.com> wrote:
> IME with hardware raid you can move the disks between different cards of
> the same RAID level.  I have moved a 3 disk RAID 5 array between
> different controllers more than once without issue.

  "Different controllers", in this case, meant "different models".
For example, you'll have a rough time taking the hard disks out of a
Dell and putting them in to a Compaq (unless you can move the
controller, too).

  This isn't an imaginary concern.  We've got a 5.5-year-old PowerEdge
2500.  It's got an embedded RAID controller that's not compatible with
most other PERCs.  Dell will not offer us a service contract for
anything older than 5 years.  If the motherboard dies, our only option
to access the disks would be to try and order a spare motherboard,
either from Dell Spare Parts or aftermarket.  With software RAID, you
could move them into any computer with a SCSI controller.

  (We've bought a new server and are moving the old one out of
production as I speak, but maybe someone doesn't have that option.)

  Maybe this scenario affects you, maybe it doesn't, but it's
something to be aware of.

-- Ben