megaraid_sas waiting for command and then offline

Joseph Malicki jmalicki at metacarta.com
Mon Dec 11 23:53:02 CST 2006

Hi Brett!

Thanks for the response, hopefully we can gather enough data points to
help solve the problem.

The new PERC 5/i integrated firmware dated 11/21/2006 is at:
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/format.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&SystemID=PWE_2950&os=LIN4&osl=en&deviceid=9182&typecnt=2&libid=46&releaseid=R139225&vercnt=3
PERC 5/E adapter:
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/format.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&SystemID=PWE_2950&os=LIN4&osl=en&deviceid=9181&typecnt=2&libid=46&releaseid=R139227&vercnt=2

The release notes describe very similar symptoms, but I am not ready to
believe it yet as I can't reliably reproduce the problem well enough to
be confident of a fix, though it sounds like you might be able to.
Unfortunately we're using Debian at the moment, but if I can reproduce I
can run on RHEL in a heartbeat to duplicate it for support (for now I'm
trying to minimize variables).

Also, which driver version are you running?  I noticed you were using
some patches from Sumant Patro at LSI - is your driver identical to the one
in 2.6.19?  If not, what does it look like?

Have you noticed any correlations with patrol reads at the times of the
failures? You can tell by running MegaCli -FwTermLog -Dsply -aALL

What hardware are you running (CPUs, RAM, disk configuration)?

Have you noticed any correlation with heavy network I/O (as well as disk
I/O)?  Some of our systems may have experienced this when running more
network load than typical.

Thanks!
Joe