kernel build failure on 2650

eclark eclark at alabanza.com
Mon Dec 11 08:32:22 CST 2006

I sent this out last week but didnt get any response. I made the following
changes (actually, they were made automatically when smp was selected via
make menuconfig) to my .config, and now the kernel will no longer boot:

< CONFIG_SMP=y
< CONFIG_NR_CPUS=32
< # CONFIG_X86_NUMA is not set
---
> # CONFIG_SMP is not set
> # CONFIG_X86_UP_APIC is not set
> # CONFIG_X86_UP_IOAPIC is not set
75d74
< CONFIG_HAVE_DEC_LOCK=y
81,82d79
< CONFIG_X86_IO_APIC=y
< CONFIG_X86_LOCAL_APIC=y
110d106
< # CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI_IBM is not set
139d134
< CONFIG_ACPI_BOOT=y

The only change was that DEC_LOCK was turned on, and IO_APIC, LOCAL_APIC, and
ACPI_BOOT. These three changes should not cause a 2650 to boot, especially if
i have noapic set at boot time. Can someone please explain why the addition
of these three things causes a total failure to boot?