Dell PE 1850 ipmi & dell_rbu kernel module issue

Adrian Gajan adrian.gajan at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 03:17:49 CST 2006

Hi Matt,

i've only installed the rpms which are needed to take the neccesary actions
(bios&drac flash, set drac passwd, ip, gw and netmask) so I had not
installed the whole OMSA software package. I've tryied to use the install
script which is provided in the OMSA package, but this didnt work because of
the OS recognition (we are using CentOS which is not support by Dell).
Anyway, you mentioned, that ipmi has its own copy of initscript, could you
please provide information where is it stored or how to remove this?

One other question relating the dell_rbu kernel module:

there is no record of dell_rbu in /etc/modprobe.conf and the module is

Thanks a lot and have a nice day:)

Adrian

On 12/7/06, Matt Domsch <Matt_Domsch at dell.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 07:02:16PM +0100, Adrian Gajan wrote:
> >    Hello,
> >
> >    i've installed the necessary Dell software on a PE1850 in order to be
> able
> >    to execute BIOS & DRAC updates. I've wrote a bash script, which
> updates
> >    BIOS and DRAC firmware and sets the DRAC IP, mask, gw and password.
> After
> >    this will the script remove the installed rpms, such as
> srvadmin-hapi,
> >    srvadmin-ipmi etc... This is done without any problems, after this
> step
> >    there is a "for i in $(find /etc -name *ipmi); do rm -rf $i; done"
> >    command, which removes the links and the starting ipmi shell script.
> >    Anyway, after reboot the server is still trying to load the ipmi and
> >    dell_rbu drivers on boot.
>
> any chance OMSA is installed?  It has its own copy of the ipmi
> initscript in case the system-provided copy isn't present.
>
> --
> Matt Domsch
> Software Architect
> Dell Linux Solutions linux.dell.com & www.dell.com/linux