(2850) Defining which drive in array is bad?

Kilian CAVALOTTI kilian at stanford.edu
Tue Dec 5 18:41:12 CST 2006

Hi Bill,

On Tuesday 05 December 2006 16:13, Bill-Schoolcraft wrote:
> I have a 2850 running a RAID-5 array and we are looking to change out
> the drive that may be causing the following "unreferenced_inode" error,
> and I'm not so sure there is a bad drive -- not sure which of the
> five(5) w/1-hotspare, has caused this error anyway.

> EXT3-fs: INFO: recovery required on readonly filesystem.
> EXT3-fs: write access will be enabled during recovery.
> EXT3-fs: sda2: orphan cleanup on readonly fs
> ext3_orphan_cleanup: deleting unreferenced inode 324585

Do you get this error repeatedly? Because it does not look like a hardware
problem to me, it's probably more a filesystem corruption. And from your
log excerpt it seems to have been fixed. You can force a fsck at next boot
to be sure (shutdown -r -F), but it's probably more a software error than
a hardware one.

Best,
--
Kilian