RedHat 4AS Cluster and PowerVault 2201

Ricardo Stella stella at rider.edu
Wed Dec 6 08:42:27 CST 2006

Matt Domsch wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 04, 2006 at 11:23:51AM +0900, Chris Steinke wrote:
>
>>    Hi,
>>
>>    I put together a hardware configuration that includes two Dell PowerEdge
>>    servers and one PowerVault 2201 SCSI RAID array with a Perc-4 controller.
>>

> perhaps 220S?  I don't know what a 2201 is.  Please advise.
>
> In general, we haven't recommended the 220S / PERC4 solution for Linux
> HA shared storage because the software (e.g. GFS) relied on lock
> sectors on the logical drive for fencing, which the PERC4 firmware
> really wasn't expecting and didn't react well to.  I understand that
> newer GFS2 doesn't have this particular fencing strategy anymore, so
> it should work better now, but Dell's engineers haven't tested it.
> You should work with Red Hat's cluster storage sales/engineering teams
> directly.  I'd be excited to hear your success story here though!
>
> Thanks,
> Matt

Let's try again as my previous message never made it out - It's not even
on the archives, and never got anything if it was awaiting mod approval...

What about an MD1000 ?  These can be linked to PERC5 controllers.  We
are looking for an email server and using the MD1000 for storage, but
would like the DB server portion of it to be under the cluster...

TIA...

--