PowerEdge 1900 IERR 1410 CPU 1 IERR

Jonathan Dill jonathan at nerds.net
Tue Dec 5 09:37:41 CST 2006

Jonathan Dill wrote:
> I have a PowerEdge 1900 with Ubuntu Dapper amd64 version and
> 2.6.15-27-amd64-xeon kernel. The server has a single Xeon 5110 1.6 GHz
> dual core processor. Last night, I was deleting some files on a Seagate
> external USB disk and the system locked up--I could still ping it, but
> could not SSH or get to a VNC session that I had open.  This morning, I
> found the following error on the LCD:  E1410 CPU 1 IERR
>
> Any ideas what causes this error?  Is it a hardware problem?  Should I
> be using the 2.6.15-27-amd64-xeon-server kernel instead?

Anybody???  I have narrowed down the problem, it seems to be triggered
when BackupPC_dump runs.  BackupPC is also writing to a PATA disk
attached to a PATA-to-SATA converter attached to the normal (non-PERC)
SATA controller on the motherboard.  I switched back to
2.6.15-27-amd64-server kernel, I think that might fix the problem,
because I think BackupPC may have been working fine before I switched to
the xeon kernel.

I can't crash the system tonight because I won't be working near that
location tomorrow, so I have disabled BackupPC, but will try running
BackupPC_dump manually with debugging tomorrow night to see if it is
fine with the server kernel.

Jonathan