a bit confused by recent CPUs

Peter Kjellstrom cap at nsc.liu.se
Tue Dec 5 07:13:55 CST 2006

On Tuesday 05 December 2006 13:54, Marc Fournier wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm planning to buy a couple of 2950, for a debian/xen usage. It seems
> since recently that some CPUs available for this server have a slower
> frequency and a larger FSB than others.

the 51xx and 53xx Xeons are based on the core2 architecture (dual cores
codenamed woodcrest (51xx) and quad cores codenamed clovertown(53xx)). These
are significantly faster and cooler than previous 50xx Xeons (of course there
are codes that run faster on the 50xx but you get the picture...).

> Does someone know if recent kernels support these 1333/1066MHz FSB ? Or
> would it be wise to stick to a 666Mhz ?

RHEL4u4 has no problems with these newer CPUs (they are also fully supported
in vanilla kernel.org).

> And by the way, does someone know if the new quad-core CPUs already are
> fully supported ?

Yes, as they are nothing but two dual cores on one bus.

/Peter