RedHat 4AS Cluster and PowerVault 2201

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Mon Dec 4 06:35:32 CST 2006

On Mon, Dec 04, 2006 at 11:23:51AM +0900, Chris Steinke wrote:
>    Hi,
>
>    I put together a hardware configuration that includes two Dell PowerEdge
>    servers and one PowerVault 2201 SCSI RAID array with a Perc-4 controller.

perhaps 220S?  I don't know what a 2201 is.  Please advise.

In general, we haven't recommended the 220S / PERC4 solution for Linux
HA shared storage because the software (e.g. GFS) relied on lock
sectors on the logical drive for fencing, which the PERC4 firmware
really wasn't expecting and didn't react well to.  I understand that
newer GFS2 doesn't have this particular fencing strategy anymore, so
it should work better now, but Dell's engineers haven't tested it.
You should work with Red Hat's cluster storage sales/engineering teams
directly.  I'd be excited to hear your success story here though!

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch