RAID tools for SAS5iR

Dave C. Reeve Dave.Reeve at pnsol.com
Fri Dec 1 07:31:10 CST 2006

Hi All,

I have reciently recieved a PowerEdge 860 with SAS5iR RAID controller.
I have two disks in the machine (SATA) under RAID-1.

What I can figure out is what tools I need to use to monitor the disks!

What I do know is the contoller uses the SAS1068 chipset, and hence is
supported under linux using the "mptsas" driver.  I have looked at
http://linux.dell.com/storage.shtml to see if there was anything usefull
there; but alas the SAS5iR is not mentioned (or is it a PERCxxx under
another name?).  Under the SAS section (althought the disks are SATA the
controller is SAS) and there is a link to LSI's website.

http://www.lsil.com/storage_home/products_home/internal_raid/megaraid_sas/megaraid_sas_8480e/index.html?remote=1&locale

Unfortunatly I cannot figure out what LSI product my Dell badged product
relates to...  (Perhaps next time I will just use software RAID and be
done with it, anway...)

Does any one else have a dell with a SAS5iR controller and know what set
of utils I need to use to monitor it?

Thanks in advance
  Dave

PS.  If anyone from Dell is listening in, perhaps you could call out the
SAS5iR explicitly on your linux support page!