Performance Tuning Recommendations for a RHEL 4 NFS Fileserver

Mansell, Gary Gary.Mansell at ricardo.com
Fri Dec 1 06:02:44 CST 2006

Dear all,

I am about to implement a Dell PE2950 with 4GB RAM attached to an MD1000
array with a 15 300GB SAS Drives in a RAID 5 config via a PERC5/e card.

The machine is to act as an NFS fileserver for about 100 UNIX and Linux
machines and also as a Samba Server for about 100 PC's.

I would be interested to hear any recommendations as to tuning
parameters that I should incorporate into the configuration.

I expect to increase the number of nfsd's from the default 8 to 16 (will
this be enough?), will mount with noatime, will tune2fs the filesystem
so that it does not get automatically fscked at boot.

Are there any other NFS tuning ideas, IO subsystem tuning and Network
Tuning Parameters that I should consider?

Regards

Gary Mansell

If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender immediately
and delete this e-mail from your system.  Please note that any views or opinions
presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily
represent those of Ricardo (save for reports and other documentation formally
approved and signed for release to the intended recipient).  Only Directors
or Duly Authorised Officers are authorised to enter into legally binding
obligations on behalf of Ricardo unless the obligation is contained within
a Ricardo Purchase Order.

Ricardo may monitor outgoing and incoming e-mails and other telecommunications
on its e-mail and telecommunications systems.  By replying to this e-mail you
give consent to such monitoring.  The recipient should check this e-mail and
any attachments for the presence of viruses.  Ricardo accepts no liability for
any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail.  "Ricardo" means
Ricardo plc and its subsidiary companies.

Ricardo plc is a public limited company registered in England with registered
number 00222915.
The registered office of Ricardo plc is Shoreham Technical Centre, Shoreham-by Sea,
West Sussex, BN43 5FG.